- In small groups, the girls develop a commercial for a beauty product that develops real beauty.
- You may want to prepare an art corner with all art supplies.
- Poster Board
- As many art supplies as possible: Marker/Crayons, Glitter, Scraps of Cloth, Newspaper, Magazine Clippings, Leaves, Flowers, Stones Glue, Scissors etc.
- Copies of Handout 14
- To give girls the opportunity to think about what real beauty is.
- Divide girls into small groups.
- Explain that in the groups girls will have half an hour to discuss what is real beauty, and a further hour to imagine a product that would develop some aspect of ‘real beauty’ in users, as well as create a commercial for the product. They can use Handout 14 to make notes.
- Encourage girls to be creative, and remind them that the product need not be logical or scientific. The commercial as well, can take any form the group chooses.
- Inform girls that they can use the art supplies if they like.
- Let girls know that you will let them know when time is up for each activity.
- When time is up call girls back together to present their commercials.
- What did you learn from the commercials about real beauty?
- What is real beauty?